"I'm a mother, I'm a lover, a chef, a referee. I'm a doctor, and a chauffeur seven days a week. I ain't asking for a medal, yeah I know you work too. I'd just like a little credit where credit is due. It's the hardest gig I've ever known. I work my fingers to the bone. Yeah the dishes and the diapers never stop. Lousy pay, there ain't no 401K. I know this may come as a shock, but this here's a full time job!"--Full Time Job sung by Gretchen Wilson

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

It's Epic!

Romeo and Juliet, Rhett and Scarlett, Jack and Rose (from Titanic)...Epic love stories. When I was younger I watched these stories (read these stories, whatever) and I remember thinking, "That is the kind of love I want!". I wanted someone to love me SO passionately it hurt.

Yesterday, I finally finished watching Walk The Line and it made me think about what Epic love really means. June Carter was there for Johnny Cash and helped him beat his drug use. She didn't want to run into marriage with him. He loved her so madly. I know that he cheated on his wife with her and I am not condoning that at all. That was wrong, but after his wife left him, he wanted June, plain and simple. I'm sure there were other women there to fill the void, he was a rock star after all, but he always loved June. He loved her so much that after she died in May 2003, he only lasted 5 months without her passing away in September of that same year.

Then, that got me thinking about the love that I have. I love my husband so deeply. He is the one that I turn to for everything. He makes me SO very happy. We have the kind of relationship that we can be comfortable talking about anything, but also spending time together not talking, just being together. I will admit that we don't have the "I'd die without you" kinda love, but is that what we should be aiming for? If God forbid, something happened to Eric, I would be devastated, but I would like to think that we have the type of relationship that he would WANT me to get on with my life, not die without him.

Both of our parents' marriage have lasted over 30 years and to me THAT is Epic Love. You can watch my mom and dad and his mom and dad and you know that they love each other so much and always will. They walk hand in hand in this life as equals. They listen to each other, care about each other and love each other. They are friends, not just lovers. I have no doubt that they will spend the rest of their lives together happily married. It may not always be blissful, but always full of love. So, THAT is the kind of Epic Love I want. Not the double suicide, Boat sinking, "I don't give a damn" kind, but the "I truly want to spend the rest of my life right beside you" kind. I love Eric so much and I pray that that is the type of love we have. He is my partner, the father to my children, my lover, my confidante, but most of all, he is my friend and I look forward to spending the rest of my life with him.

No comments: