"I'm a mother, I'm a lover, a chef, a referee. I'm a doctor, and a chauffeur seven days a week. I ain't asking for a medal, yeah I know you work too. I'd just like a little credit where credit is due. It's the hardest gig I've ever known. I work my fingers to the bone. Yeah the dishes and the diapers never stop. Lousy pay, there ain't no 401K. I know this may come as a shock, but this here's a full time job!"--Full Time Job sung by Gretchen Wilson

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Can't Help Thinking About Me

I had a lot of very positive response to this post, Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your support and encouragement. It makes me really happy that it touched some of you and let you know you are not alone!

So, since some of you read the last post and might read this one, I issue you a challenge. Tell me 5 things you LIKE about yourself. They can be ANYTHING that you think is great about YOU! If you are reading this on Facebook, please feel free to post a comment. That is one thing I figured out a couple of days ago. We focus on the negative too much. Let's focus on something positive. The only ground rule is this: It MUST be about you!! We all know you love your family and friend and if you are a Christian, I am very glad that you love God. But, I want to know what other things you like about yourself. Make sense? List Away!

Here are mine to get you started!

1) I love my HEIGHT! That is one thing about myself that has never changed. I absolutely love being tall. My husband is tall and I've always had a thing for tall men. I enjoy being one of the highest people in the room.

2) I have a pretty good voice. Whether it is singing in the choir at church or my pretty much once a year trip to the Neon Cactus to see Bruce Barker, I LOVE getting up and sharing my vocal abilities with others. There may be a pretty big difference between "Silent Night" and "Me & Bobby McGee", but I love singing both with all my heart!

3) I am strong. I didn't appreciate this when I was younger. It has taken me being an adult to learn that it is a cool thing for a woman to be strong. I love that I can hold my own in the weight room.

4) I really am glad I have an ability to easily make friends. This is something that has always come easily to me. My dad used to joke that we could go anywhere I would know someone. He was almost proven right when on two different family trips, one to Cedar Point and one to Disney World, we ran into someone I knew. I know that I am very lucky in this, as not everyone has this gift. It is one I treasure!

5) I really love that I have an artistic side. I know I mentioned the singing, but this goes beyond that. I knit and I write and I love all things "artsy". I really enjoy writing this blog when I have time, but I also write a lot on my own. One day I really hope to have a novel published. Obviously, most of you know how much I knit. It is one of those skills I am SO glad I learned and hope and pray I never get arthritis in my hands!

So, there are mine. What are yours? There is no shame about being proud of yourself and liking things about yourself. I love this quote, it means a lot to me and I hope you will take something from it!

"When you give yourself credit for something, when you take pride in what you do, that doesn't mean you think you're better than someone else. It just means that you value who you are and you send that message to the world." -Jillian Michaels.

Just FYI: "Can't Help Thinking About Me" is a song written by David Bowie in 1965 and released as a single under the name David Bowie & the Lower Third. This was the first single released after he changed his name from David Jones to David Bowie. The single was the first David Bowie record to be released in the US.

With Love!

No comments: