"I'm a mother, I'm a lover, a chef, a referee. I'm a doctor, and a chauffeur seven days a week. I ain't asking for a medal, yeah I know you work too. I'd just like a little credit where credit is due. It's the hardest gig I've ever known. I work my fingers to the bone. Yeah the dishes and the diapers never stop. Lousy pay, there ain't no 401K. I know this may come as a shock, but this here's a full time job!"--Full Time Job sung by Gretchen Wilson

Monday, April 19, 2010

Low fat, low cal, and WAY good!

Today's Munchy is something my mom made a lot when I was a kid. I remember it fondly and make it often as an adult. I'm sure that other people may call them something else, but we have always called them "Country Beans". There are 2 different ways to make Country Beans, but I like to make them as low fat and low calorie as I can. Of course you can make them on the stove, but I prefer to put them in the crockpot (shocking I know!)

Country Beans
4 cans cut green beans (undrained)
1 onion, sliced
1 can corn, drained
1 pkg. turkey smoked sausage, sliced into about 1/4 inch slices
Salt/Pepper

Put everything into the crockpot and add enough water to cover. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on low for 6 hours.
POINTS value for a GOOD size portion:3 (2 for sausage, and 1 for onion and corn).

For the times when I am not watching my weight and could care less if something is low-fat/calorie, I make this a little differently. I wash and cut up 2-3 potatoes and use REAL smoked sausage or kielbasa, not turkey smoked sausage. This is GREAT served with corn bread (buy the EASY Jiffy Mix box).

I hope that you enjoy this! It is one of my favorites!

Tomorrow is the final weigh in for my Biggest Loser contest...wish me luck!
With Love,
Theresa

No comments: