"I'm a mother, I'm a lover, a chef, a referee. I'm a doctor, and a chauffeur seven days a week. I ain't asking for a medal, yeah I know you work too. I'd just like a little credit where credit is due. It's the hardest gig I've ever known. I work my fingers to the bone. Yeah the dishes and the diapers never stop. Lousy pay, there ain't no 401K. I know this may come as a shock, but this here's a full time job!"--Full Time Job sung by Gretchen Wilson

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Missing Grandma

Five years ago today, we said good-bye to a very special member of our family.  My grandmother (my mom's mom) passed away and went to join my grandfather in God's loving arms.  My grandfather has been gone since December 12, 1990 and my grandmother had been alone for 15 years.  They had been married for 45 years.  Can you imagine being without your other half for that long?  I can not even fathom it, nor do I ever want to. 

Grandma Helen and Grandpa Phil were blessed with 5 children on their farm in Winamac, IN.  They sadly had to learn what it was to lose a son in 1976 to a semi-truck accident.  They loved their children and their 9 grand-children so much and taught us what it meant to work hard.  Grandpa had been in the ARMY and Grandma had been a nurse, both during WWII.  Grandma continued her nursing working as a labor and delivery nurse and then later as a hospice nurse.  She cared greatly for others.

Man, my grandma could COOK too!  Most of my greatest memories of grandma take place in her kitchen.  She made awesome cinnamon rolls, incredible potato soup, amazing Reuben sandwiches (especially at midnight!) and my favorite was her Polish Perogies.  NO ONE makes perogies like grandma did.  Luckily she did teach me how she made them.  Hopefully one day they will be as good as grandma's were.  They were so good and I haven't made any in a while.  I might have to change that very soon!  I remember many visits waking up at midnight and having grandma in the kitchen making rolls for the next morning or frying up a Reuben sandwich for us.

Now, I know grandma wasn't perfect.  Like anyone, she had her good points and not so good points.  But, the woman knew how to love and she loved us all with all over her heart.  She kept us busy (you didn't DARE comment that you were bored in her presence), but was always quick with a smile. 

When she died, we had been waiting for the moment.  I remember my mom calling me and I knew before I even picked up the phone.  I had just left the hospital and came home to make sure L took a nap (she was only about 6 months old).  I picked up the phone and just started crying.  I remember putting L back in the car and heading back to the hospital.  I remember E meeting me at the hospital and hugging me tight.  I remember L having a complete blow-out at the hospital and trying to change her through my tears.  I remember going into her room and holding her hand and just telling her I loved her and would miss her, but that I was so happy she was with Grandpa now.

I have NO DOUBT that Grandma and Grandpa are in God's Kingdom.  They were both strong Catholics and loved God with all of their hearts.  I can easily picture Grandpa meeting her at Peter's Gate with open arms. 

I miss Grandma very much.  And as much as I know how much I miss her, I know my mom misses her even more.  I wish I knew what to say to her.  She seemed so sad when I talked to her yesterday.  She was a little better today, but I know she misses her mama.  I can only imagine how she feels knowing how much I would miss her if she were gone. We both know that grandma is in a wonderful place and is healthy now.  We know she is with her true love again and will be there to welcome us to heaven when our time comes.  We miss you grandma.  God Bless.  We will see you again!

With Love,
Theresa

No comments: