"I'm a mother, I'm a lover, a chef, a referee. I'm a doctor, and a chauffeur seven days a week. I ain't asking for a medal, yeah I know you work too. I'd just like a little credit where credit is due. It's the hardest gig I've ever known. I work my fingers to the bone. Yeah the dishes and the diapers never stop. Lousy pay, there ain't no 401K. I know this may come as a shock, but this here's a full time job!"--Full Time Job sung by Gretchen Wilson

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Run Eric, Run!

I am so very proud of my wonderful hubby. Right now he is participating (and hopefully finishing) his very first FULL marathon! For those that don’t know, a full marathon is 26.2 miles. Yep, you read that right: Twenty-six point two miles. I think he might be a little crazy! He has already completed 5 half-marathons, but that is only 13.1 miles (Only! Yeah right!). He is hoping for a finish time of 4 hours. That is about 9 minutes per mile. Like I said, crazy! But, I am immensely proud of him and can’t wait to be there when he crosses that finish line. I will repeat again, just in case you missed it the first time. He is RUNNING 26.2 miles right now. You might think about saying a prayer for him. I know I am! Oh, and L is very excited that daddy will be bringing home another medal for her. She doesn’t quite get that the 5 medals he has are NOT exactly hers. Crazy girl.

You might be wondering what I am doing while he is running.  Well, right now, I am in a Starbucks on the campus of the University of Illinois.  I had to walk about 2 miles to find ONE coffee shop!  That is crazy!  At Purdue, there is a coffee shop on just about every corner it seems.  But, I have my knitting, I have WiFi, and I have movies.  I am set for the next couple of hours! Yeah Me Time!!

So, we are trying to potty-train J. You would think that this would not be a difficult thing as we have done it before with L. Right? Uh, no. She is the most STUBBORN little girl. She says she “wants to be a baby like M.” I asked her if we needed to get her a bottle and if she needed to go back to sleeping in a crib. She said yes. How do you use reverse psychology on a kid like that? We are slowly getting there I guess. She has been using the little potty one or two times per day for the past week. She just doesn’t understand how to hold it until she can get to the potty. I’ve even tried the bribe that she can go to Vacation Bible School with sissy if she learns to use the potty. No luck. Any advice here would be much appreciated.

L did MUCH better at soccer practice Thursday night. As long as she figures out to take her hands out of her pockets while she is running, she’s going to be just fine. She still isn’t really aggressive, but for the most part she isn’t really an aggressive person. In fact, we are working with her on standing up for herself. There is a little girl in her pre-school class that has been pulling her hair and spitting at her. L says she has told the girl she doesn’t like her doing it, but the girl continues to do it. I think I am giving it the week and if she can’t get it to stop, I may say something to the teachers or the girl’s mom. I’m torn though. I don’t want to fight L’s battles for her, but she doesn’t understand how to fight them herself. We told her if she tells the girl she doesn’t like what she is doing and would she please stop and the girl WON’T stop, THEN she needs to go talk to her teachers. What do you think? Should I just let L handle it or should I step in? This little girl isn’t this way with JUST L. She has this aggressive behavior towards a lot of the other children in L’s class, but L seems to catch a lot of it.

I don’t know how it is where you live, but here in the fabulous state of Indiana, we are considering building Arks. I’m not even kidding the littlest bit. We have had so much rain. I am pretty sure it is the wettest April ever on record. As a farmer’s daughter, I learned a long time ago, you NEVER ask the rain to stop. However, a pause would be fantastic. I guess we did get that yesterday and today as it was absolutely gorgeous outside yesterday. It was about 62 degrees and sunny. It is a little cooler today and the sun isn’t out, but at least it isn’t raining…yet. But, there is water standing everywhere. It is times like these that I am really glad my hubby works at a lumber company. Anyone have any blue prints for an Ark? How about a canoe? Any type of water craft?
Have a great weekend!
With Love.

No comments: