"I'm a mother, I'm a lover, a chef, a referee. I'm a doctor, and a chauffeur seven days a week. I ain't asking for a medal, yeah I know you work too. I'd just like a little credit where credit is due. It's the hardest gig I've ever known. I work my fingers to the bone. Yeah the dishes and the diapers never stop. Lousy pay, there ain't no 401K. I know this may come as a shock, but this here's a full time job!"--Full Time Job sung by Gretchen Wilson

Friday, May 13, 2011

My Man

I sang at a funeral this morning and I got a lot more emotional than I thought I would get.  The funeral was for a gentleman from our church whose wife used to sing in the choir.  I had only met him once so I figured I would be OK singing and wouldn't get too teary-eyed.  I was wrong.  I watched this man's wife walk up to the pew, being supported by her children.  She had tears flowing throughout the entire mass.  As I watched her from the the front of church, I felt tears spring to my own eyes.  I thought about what she must be thinking.  She and her husband had been married for 54 years.  That's fifty-four years of love, laughter, and I'm sure even some tears.  As I watched her I thought about my wonderful husband.  I thought about how our life would be in 47 years when we celebrate 54 years of marriage.  I thought about our marriage and our life right now. Our marriage is by no means perfect, but I love that man with all of my heart.  And, really, what is the fun in perfection?  I mean, how can you get to the fun of making up if you don't fight occasionally.  I love that E knows when I really need a hug.  I love that he flirts with me even though we've been together for almost 10 years.  I love to watch him read to the kids and play games with them.  I love that he works so hard so that I can stay at home with our children.  I love watching him help at L's soccer games as he helps "corral" a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds.  I love when he wraps his arms around me squeezes me tight.  I love him.  I love that man with all of my heart.  I thank God every day for having him walk into that bar almost 10 years ago.  By watching a woman grieve for the loss of HER husband, I think I fell in love with MY husband all over again

With Love

No comments: