"I'm a mother, I'm a lover, a chef, a referee. I'm a doctor, and a chauffeur seven days a week. I ain't asking for a medal, yeah I know you work too. I'd just like a little credit where credit is due. It's the hardest gig I've ever known. I work my fingers to the bone. Yeah the dishes and the diapers never stop. Lousy pay, there ain't no 401K. I know this may come as a shock, but this here's a full time job!"--Full Time Job sung by Gretchen Wilson

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Book Worm Wednesday

YAY! It is Wednesday! I love Wednesdays for many reasons (mainly because E's parents come and visit and I get to get out of the house by myself!), but now I am happy because Wednesdays will mean I get to talk about one of my favorite things...books! I love books, I can't explain it, whether it is breaking open the spine on a brand new book, or smelling the paper on an old, well-read one, I just LOVE them! Books make me happy. I could spend all day, just walking around the library and looking at different titles. When I was growing up, I would read constantly. Being an only child, I didn't have a lot of people to talk to at home (especially once the cousins moved away!). Books were a place that I could read about other people and join them in their lives, their adventures. I read fast and I read all the time. I remember my cousins having contests about how fast I would read and they would NEVER believe I could read that fast and I had to be cheating. I learned how to read at an early age, and I have just never stopped. I just loved that opening a book meant entering a new world and escaping for a while. Some of my favorites were those make your own adventure books, although I fully admit to "cheating" every now and then and fixing it so the story read how I thought it should! I hated it when the main character would die 10 pages in! I also used to love the Baby Sitter's Club and Sweet Valley High. Ladies, remember those? Those were considered cutting edge young adult reading...wow, times have changed huh. Now it is all about Twilight and Gossip Girl! I still have a lot of Baby Sitter's Club books that I have saved for my girls. I can't wait to share the books with them!

Unfortunately, having 3 little ones means that my reading time has been cut down some. Staying up reading until 2AM is just not a good idea anymore. But, I read when I can. I read while I nurse, I read at the gym. If I have "free-time" and am not knitting, you can be pretty sure you will find me reading. I will warn you that I really am a fan of fiction and do not read much non-fiction. I just LOVE to see the results of other people's imaginations. I also have a preference for Chic-Lit and for Vampire/Magical stories. I know that others do not understand this liking, but hey, I don't judge them, don't judge me on what I like to read. As I get older, I like more Science Fiction, both on TV and in my books! I will read just about any good fiction book though, so hopefully you will get to read about a variety of titles! I will warn you too that tend to re-read some of my favorites so you might hear about them too!

So, what am I reading now? Currently I am in the middle of Jennifer Weiner's Best Friends Forever. So far, so good. She is a great writer and knows how to write her female characters VERY well. Next week I should be able to give you an actual review.

What have I read lately? Let's do that question instead! I have tried to keep track of what I have read here in 2010. I will tell you about them and what I thought. I will try to keep the spoilers to a minimum and warn you ahead of time! :)

Bite Marks by Jennifer Rardin is the 6th in a series about a demon hunter who's boss is a vampire. (I warned you!) I have read all of these and have thought they were pretty decent. Like most series though, the first couple were the best. They are starting to get a little repetitive, but are still enjoyable to read. If you enjoy this genre like I do, be sure to check these out.

I, Alex Cross by James Patterson is one of MANY in a series about Alex Cross, a DC Homicide detective. I really really enjoy James Patterson's writing. The Alex Cross novels are wonderful. This last installment was a little predictable, but still a great read!

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown is probably my LEAST favorite of the Robert Langdon books, if not my least favorite of his over all. It took a LONG time to read and just seemed to drag on. Don't get me wrong, it was well written as all of his are, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as his other books. SPOILER:

The only part that surprised me was that the bad guy was Peter's son. I should have seen this coming given how he writes, but I didn't. My bad.

Enchanted, Inc., Once Upon Stilettos, Damsel Under Stress, & Don't Hex With Texas all by Shanna Swendsen are GREAT simple reads! I love them. They are kind of like cotton candy for the magical literary world. This is actually the 2nd time I have read through these. I love them so much. They are all about a girl who discovers the world of magic and her part in it. They are SO fun to read. If you enjoy this genre of fiction, I HIGHLY suggest them!!

Bubbles Unbound by Sarah Stohmeyer is OK. I realize that is kind of vague praise, but that is about all I can say. The mystery is VERY predictable. I will say the lead character is a riot; imagine a Pamela Anderson that actually knows how to think! If you are looking for an easy read that will keep you a little entertained, check it out. I do have a couple of her other titles on my To Read list, so I will keep you informed!

Well, that is my list for 2010 so far. Not bad for a start. I do try and read a couple of "classics" a year so look forward to those! Also, if there are any books or authors that you suggest, let me know! I'm always on the look out for new stories!

I hope you are all having a wonderful day! Tune in tomorrow for Fiber Therapy Thursdays...my other favorite hobby!

With Love,
Theresa

No comments: