"I'm a mother, I'm a lover, a chef, a referee. I'm a doctor, and a chauffeur seven days a week. I ain't asking for a medal, yeah I know you work too. I'd just like a little credit where credit is due. It's the hardest gig I've ever known. I work my fingers to the bone. Yeah the dishes and the diapers never stop. Lousy pay, there ain't no 401K. I know this may come as a shock, but this here's a full time job!"--Full Time Job sung by Gretchen Wilson

Monday, March 29, 2010

What To Make?!?!

For all my food stalkers out there (yes Jennifer, I am talking to you!) I have NO idea what I am making for dinner. I am thinking about Smoked Turkey Sausage Sandwiches. No, not very exciting, but for whatever reason, it sounds AWESOME! Maybe some Shell's and Cheese and some veggies would round out the meal just fine. Yes, that is what I am going for...

Now, what for you to make? Well, let me tell you that I use my Crock Pot a TON! Seriously, I LOVE my Crock Pots (I have 2!!). I make chicken, beef, pork, just about anything I can. I love that I can put it on and forget about it! In fact, tomorrow, I think I will make Chicken and Noodles in the Crock Pot...sounds good! Why am I telling you this? Well, today's Munchy Time Monday recipe is for the Crock Pot! This is seriously about the EASIEST thing you will be able to do. For anyone that says, "Oh, I'm can't cook, I don't know how.", I PROMISE you can do this!

"Roasted" Chicken
1 Whole Chicken
Any Spices you want on it (I use Garlic [of course], onion powder, a little salt, pepper, paprika, and usually some cayenne pepper. You can also use a bag of Lipton Onion Soup Mix!)
Chicken Broth or water
Onions, Carrots, Celery (optional)

Spray your Crock Pot!! Trust me on this! Next, make sure that you have removed the innards if the chicken you bought didn't already come de-innarded (lovely made up word, huh?). If you leave the insides in the bag in the chicken, well, let's just say GROSS!!. Rinse the chicken inside and out with cool water. Place in Crock Pot on it's tummy. Sprinkle with whatever seasoning you want. Pour in a little water or broth (liquids do NOT evaporate in a Crock Pot, so whatever liquids you put in will be there when you are done!). If using veggies, either stuff the chicken with them (you can also throw some cloves of garlic in there too!) or just put them in the Crock Pot with the chicken and spices and liquid. Put it on low and let it cook all day! Pretty simple, isn't it? Now, if you are a little shorter on time, crank that puppy up to high and it should cook in 3-4 hours. Remove from Crock Pot. Word of warning, the chicken will be VERY tender, as in fall off the bone. Make sure you do not choke on any bones accidentally!

Now, Crock Pot Tip...DO NOT REMOVE LID DURING COOKING!! When you remove the lid, you let all the heat/steam out and that makes your cooking time take longer. Seriously, just leave it alone!

Well, that is the tip for today! Enjoy this gorgeous day and have a good one!
With Love,
Theresa

No comments: